In this week’s basketball coaching conversation, we are joined by Guy Molloy. The podcast starts with a discussion about coaching in international competitions, and continues with an in-depth conversation about Guy’s 8 Things to Develop Your Coaching. Coach Molloy is the current New Zealand Women’s National Team Head Coach, and the head coach of the Melbourne Boomers of the WNB. Previously he has coached in the NBL, the Australian Pro League, and the Under-17 and Under-21 FIBA World Cup Teams.
Summary of the 8 Things to Develop Your Coaching
- a way of living that elevates you above your daily pressures or worries)
- provides a foundation for your leadership/mentoring
- build perspective beyond W’s and L’s
LEADERSHIP AND CULTURE
- C-Culture (or Confidence)
- 1-2-3 (priorities, can’t do everything)
SIGNATURE STYLE OF PLAY
- what is important to you?
- cut deeply, not broadly
- master it
- athletic (coaches need to learn fundamentals of human movement)
- I wanted to be a teacher first, not a recruiter or motivator first
- we’re a teaching program
- prompt, praise, leave
- teach in 3’s (simple rules)
- develop your curriculum (takes time)
- reflect & evaluate (Wooden)
- video and mike everything (didn’t realise the bad communication habits until I committed to this)
- plan A, plan B, plan C
- teach off the whiteboard at practise
- focus on us, not them
- cover the important stuff
- learn via curriculum
- in FIBA ball, know their BLOB’s
Click below to listen in if you listen on:
1:00 – Introduction
2:00 – The Phase of the Game Means
4:00 – Formatting the Offensive Game
5:12 – Emphasizing the 8-second shot clock
7:10 – Coaching Internationally
11:00 – Robust Style of Game Plan
12:30 – Individual Differences
14:00 – Adjusting to Playing with a Traditional Post Player
16:00 – Adjustments to a Unique and Talented Player.
18:00 – Conceptually Based Approach to the Game that are Adaptable
19:00 – What Robust Means
21:00 – Challenges, Similarities or Consistencies that exists when Coaching Men and Women
24:00 – Exposed to Players Different Personalities
27:40 – How do Coaches Improve?
30:30 – Competition will Drive You or will Distract You
33:00 – Finding Inner Peace in Competition
36:30 – Recording Every Practice and Self-Reflection
37:50 – Leadership and Culture
40:40 – Love Being There
45:01 – What’s your Game Knowledge Like?
48:00 – Importance of Physical Literacy
50:00 – Coaching Development
53:00 – Teaching Method
55:15 – “Sandwich Method” for Corrections
57:00 – Correction is Positive, it’s not Criticism
58:45 – “Keep and Add” Strategy
1:00:00 – Working Quickly through Practice Planning
1:02:00 – Training Problems and Solutions
1:03:38 – Game Coaching
1:08:00 – Scouting
1:12:00 – “Less is More”
Subscribe and Review
As we build our podcast following please take the time to support the Basketball Podcast. Our goal is to openly share as much useful basketball coaching info to stimulate your coaching.
How to leave a podcast review at iTunes
- Go to the iTunes page of the Basketball Podcast.
- Click the View in iTunes button.
- View in iTunes
- At iTunes, click the Ratings and Reviews tab.
- Select Ratings and Reviews
- Rate the podcast using 1 to 5 stars.
- Submit a brief honest review.
Add to favorites