In this week’s basketball coaching conversation, we are joined by Dusty May. Coach Oliver and Coach May have a discussion on taking over a new basketball program. Coach May is head men’s coach at Florida Atlantic University. Previously he was a long time assistant coach under Mike White at the University of Florida and at Louisiana Tech. Action items that a first time head coach needs to cover are discussed and shared to stimulate your thinking.
- “We want to play out of concepts and live in our guys’ strengths..figure out what our guys do well and let them play.”
- “I’ve learned more from my players than any coaching clinic..the guys should have the freedom to play the game.”
- “We want to be a good offensive rebounding team, so if I can’t anticipate what shot you’re going to take, it’s probably not a good shot.”
Click below to listen in if you listen on:
1:00 – First Action Item of a New Coach
2:00 – Current Roster Transition
3:30 – Improving the Roster
5:30 – Getting Better Players for the Program
6:30 – X and 0’s
8:20 – Coaching Ideas and the Process
9:30 – Playing with a Fast Tempo Philosophy and Establishing that Identity as a Program
11:00 – Scouting Individual Strengths and Giving Trusts to the New Set of Players
13:00 – Scoring Percentages in the Half Court vs Transition
14:40 – “Was that a Good Shot?”
16:00 – Next Steps after Roster Transition
18:00 – Individual Skills vs Team Concept in Training
20:00 – “Beating the Best Team in the League” Philosophy
22:00 – Coach May’s Basketball Coaching Philosophy and Applying other Coaching Philosophies
24:00 – Tweaking and Evaluating Offensive Plan
27:00 – Reading Books outside Basketball
29:30 – The Coaching Staff
31:00 – Empowering Players
32:00 – Seeking Feedback from Players
34:00 – Game Preparation for future Opponents
35:30 – Discussion on Western Conference Finals Game 7
40:00 – NBA Philosophies in the NCAA Game
41:00 – Building Chemistry Off the Court
44:00 – Recruiting Players who Love the Game
Subscribe and Review
As we build our podcast following please take the time to support the Basketball Podcast. Our goal is to openly share as much useful basketball coaching info to stimulate your coaching.
How to leave a podcast review at iTunes
- Go to the iTunes page of the Basketball Podcast.
- Click the View in iTunes button.
- View in iTunes
- At iTunes, click the Ratings and Reviews tab.
- Select Ratings and Reviews
- Rate the podcast using 1 to 5 stars.
- Submit a brief honest review.