Who is Alex Sarama
Alex shares creative team and player development ideas for basketball coaches, federations, and organizations around the world. Alex’s focus is on helping coaches apply evidence-based coaching ideas, including concepts such as coaching with a constraints-led approach.
During the season, Alex is the Head Coach of College Prep in Borgomanero, Italy. College Prep is one of the few prep programs existing in Europe which aims to send players onto careers in the NCAA or professional opportunities within Europe. At College, he also directs the player development program at the Italian club, which is renowned for producing some of the best players in Italy.
Alex’s coaching journey began as a 14 year-old in his hometown of Guildford, England. Alex started coaching the Under 12 team at his school, before then going on to start his own club aged 16. Over the next few years, the “Guildford Goldhawks” became one of the most established youth clubs in the South of England, producing over 10 National Team junior players, in addition to running major international events featuring coaches and players from all over Europe. Alex ran Goldhawks semi-remotely while also studying Modern History at the University of Nottingham, where he also played and later coached on the university team.
After graduating in the summer of 2016, Alex was immediately hired by NBA Europe. Alex relocated to Madrid, and over the next few years travelled to over 35 countries around the world delivering both player and coaching clinics. Alex worked with a number of major stakeholders including Federations, Charitable Foundations and NBA players themselves to grow the game. Sarama worked on the Jr. NBA and Basketball without Borders programs, in addition to coaching at numerous NBA Player Camps.
In August 2019, Alex left the NBA to properly pursue his coaching dreams. As Technical Director of Elite Academy in Belgium, Alex wrote curriculums, developed the coaching staff, reviewed practice plans, led internal clinics and travelled internationally to deliver camps and coaching clinics. In June 2020 Alex’s new chapter started with Basketball immersion, teaming up with Chris Oliver to realize the vision of sharing the game and helping coaches and players benefit from evidence-based ideas.
Some of the camps Alex has participated in include:
- Swedish Basketball Federation Elite High Schools Program
- Czech Basketball Federation Youth Camp
- Youth Camps for numerous club programs and organizations in North America & Europe
- 8 NBA Basketball without Borders Camps: Europe, Africa and Global Camp (NBA All-Star)
- Numerous NBA Player Camps, including: Pau Gasol (Barcelona, Spain), Ricky Rubio (Banyoles, Spain), Nikola Jokic (Sombur, Serbia), Jonas Valanciunas (Druskininkai, Lithuania), Tomas Satoransky (Prague, Czech Republic), Nicholas Batum (Normandy, France), Evan Fournier (Toulouse, France)
- NBA Basketball School Camps in Athens, Greece & Kartepe, Turkey
- Jr. NBA Events in 20+ countries around Europe
In addition to running camps, Alex has spoken at the following coaching clinics:
- “Playing with Advantage” Alviks Coaching Clinic: Stockholm, Sweden
- “On-Ball Defense” Falcon Coaching Clinic: Copenhagen, Denmark
- “Dynamic 1v1” and “Passing Skills” Best in the West Clinic: Saskatchewan, Canada
- “Footwork with a Games Approach” Basketball Scotland Clinic: Glasgow, Scotland
- “Running an Effective Youth Practice” Portuguese Basketball Federation, Lisbon
Alex has also spoken on many online clinics and webinars including the Virtual Basketball Coaches Clinic, Global Embassy International Basketball Coaches Clinic, TABC Virtual Clinic, Jr. NBA on OWQLO and many more!
Work with Alex
Alex shares creative team and player development ideas for basketball coaches, federations and organizations around the world. His focus is on incorporating modern ideas which stimulate coaches’ thinking and maximize retention for players from practice to the game. Camps, clinics, online consulting and more are available to you.
Learn more about working with Alex and Basketball Immersion: